Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Sundae Cafe - Fried Seafood

While on a Day trip to see Fort Pulaski and go on a dolphin sightseeing tour on Tybee Island just down the highway from Savannah, we stopped in for lunch at the Sundae Cafe. We were offered a tip to this little joint from one of the park Rangers at Fort Pulaski. Needing to kill some time before our dolphin tour (and in need of some lunch) we stopped in. The place would be easy to miss, it shares a parking lot with a gas station and a liquor store. From the outside it looks like a bit of a dive. Don't be scared off, it's excellent.

Since we were next to the ocean, I was in the mood for fresh seafood, something I don't usually get back home in Toronto. I was torn between oysters, scallops, and shrimp (wanting some of each). Thankfully there was a combo plate ($22.95) which came with all of the above plus a grouper fillet, a crab cake as well as a couple of hushpuppies. I figured I might as well go all in! The side I chose was homemade potato salad.

I would probably say this was the best meal of my entire trip. The seafood was super fresh, the batter was light and crisp and didn't overwhelm the flavour of the seafood. The grouper was flaky and tender, the oysters were probably the best fried oysters I've ever eaten. They also served a delicious remoulade on the side which I loved. I was sure I wouldn't be able to finish the plate when it arrived. It was so good I couldn't stop. I wasn't totally sold on the crab cake and the potato salad, but, in the grand scheme, my issues were minor (the salad needed more seasoning and the potatoes were a little crisp, the crab cake was a little tough from overworking).

I loved my meal, it was simple with no frills, but, was excellent overall. In the picture below you can also see the corner of their fish sandwich ($10.50) Three massive fillets of grouper on a crusty roll, totally amazing as well.


Photobucket

No comments: