Friday, February 18, 2011

Buffalo Chicken Crispers

This was a recipe I whipped a while ago based on an appetizer that used to be on the menu at Tully's, a small chain of sports bars located around the Buffalo area. Tully's serves some awesome chicken tenders, and, on my last visit I tried this appetizer (which it appears they no longer serve).

I often end up with leftover chicken when I roast a bird or two, and, other than chicken soup, chicken pot pie, or chicken salad, I haven't had much luck using up the leftovers, until now.... This recipe is still a work in progress as I wasn't totally satisfied with the end result. I will post my observations and tweaks to try next time after the recipe.

Buffalo Chicken Crispers

1 package of egg roll wrappers
4 cups of shredded cooked chicken
2 8oz pacakges of cream cheese (softened)
1 cup of shredded mozarella
4 Tbl Franks hot sauce
2 Tbl finely minced onion
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1 egg mixed with a teaspoon of water (to be used for sealing the wrappers)
Blue cheese dressing for dipping

Preaheat a deep fryer to 375 degerees F.

Mix the shredded chicken, cream cheese, mozzarella, hot sauce, and onion until well combined. Taste and adjust amount of hot sauce and salt and pepper at this point.

Take a tablespoon (depending on the the size of the egg roll wrapper) and lay it on one eggroll wrapper oriented in a diamond shape. Take the bottom corner and fold it around the filling. Take the two side corners and fold them toward the middle. Continue rolling the direction you started from to seal the egg roll, dab a little of the egg wash on the top corner as you finish rolling to seal the wrapper.

Deep fry for 5 minutes or until the wrapper is golden brown.

Serve hot with blue cheese dressing to dip.

My Tweaks for Next Time:

I found them to be a tad rich, I would probably cut back the cream cheese next time to one 8oz package. I'd also add a little more Franks hot sauce.


Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

No comments: