Thursday, September 4, 2008

Calabria Bakery - Wood Oven Pizza

The Calabria Bakery (1772 Midland Ave.) in Scarborough cooks pizzas on Thursdays and Fridays in their wood burning oven. I walked in today and the smoke greeted me right away. In fact, in the 10 minutes I was in there I managed to absorb quite a bit of smoke, my clothes smell deliciously smokey right now.

Anyway, I ordered a Classico (pepperoni and cheese $7.50) and a Calabria (cheese, black olives, hot peppers, and capicolla $10). They were made in front of me and placed in the oven for about 5 minutes, they were turned a couple of times during that span.

The 12" crust is extremely thin and the has a nice crunch to the exterior, near the center of the pizza it loses a bit of it's crispness (most likely it was the 10 minutes of travel time to get home). The crust has a nice saltiness to it but added with the toppings gets a little salty, some may love it, some may not. To me it was perfectly acceptable.

The cheese is shredded mozarella and the rest of the toppings seem to be quality ingredients. The sauce has a nice sweetness to it and doesn't overwhelm the toppings. The hot peppers are very hot, just a few on the Calabria pizza had me hunting for fluids.

They have a few more varieties such as a seafood pizza and a build your own option, as well as panzerottis. Overall a very solid pizza, inexpensive, and definitely one of the best I've had in the city. Too bad you can only get it 2 days a week.






No comments: