Saturday, August 11, 2012

Cheeseburger Soup

I'll admit it, I am a fan of Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. I ate at one of the places Guy Fieri featured on the show (long before the episode aired, which I also reviewed) called Grover's in East Amherst NY. Here's a link to the DDD segment on You Tube.

They are known for their massive burgers and chicken wings. The first few times I went I didn't realize they had another specialty. Cheeseburger Soup. The last time I went I tried it out and thought they had captured the essence of a cheeseburger in a comfort soup form, I really liked it. I needed to try and replicate it at home. I found a recipe on the net and made a few changes to suit my taste:


Cheeseburger Soup

1 pound lean ground beef
16 oz beef stock
2 1/2 cups milk
1 block of Velveeta, cubed
1 large yellow onion, diced
3 tbsp butter
2 chopped tomatoes
2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
2 tsp seasoned salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 cup flour mixed with 3/4 cup water (for thickener)

In a heavy bottomed pot, melt butter and sweat onion until translucent, remove and reserve. Add ground beef and cook until the water has evaporated and the beef browns and gets a bit crispy. Remove from pan and drain if there is an excess of rendered fat, reserve beef. Don't worry if some beef sticks to the pot, you want this.

Add your beef stock & flour slurry, bring to boil scraping any browned bits off the bottom. Add the milk and Velveeta. Cook until all the cheese is melted, not boiling. Add in reserved onion, hamburger, seasoned salt and pepper.

Cover and cook for about an 1 hour on low heat stirring occasionally. Serve in bowls adding the lettuce and tomatoes on top mixing them in at the last minute.



No comments: